[rescue] Re MAKES. ME. SICK.-> scalability

Devin L. Ganger rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Jun 21 13:58:13 CDT 2001

On Thu, Jun 21, 2001 at 07:16:20AM -0400, Dave McGuire wrote:

> On June 19, Zach Malone wrote:

> > OpenBSD will not have SMP any time soon.  Supposedly it opens up far
> > too many security holes to have a second processor enabled.  This may
> > eventually be fixed, and as I am not on the dev team, I have no clue
> > how long it might take,

>   Uh-huh.  Now THAT is something that I'd like to see a good technical
> description of.

Translation:

"We'll let the NetBSD guys rip off the stable FreeBSD SMP code and get
it hacked in place before we even think about it, since we're not really
sure how to do it without an example in front of us.  Oh, and we'll
tighten up the security along the way."

The OpenBSD crowd, from my experience and from comments by programmer
friends, do know how to program quite securely, but they are apparently
crappy coders when it comes to all other aspects.

--
Devin L. Ganger <devin at thecabal.org>
find / -name *base* -exec chown us:us {} \;