[rescue] FDDI vs switched 100BaseTX, vs SPARC LX

rescue at sunhelp.org rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Jun 21 12:30:17 CDT 2001

"Loomis, Rip" wrote:

> The switch is a D-Link 5-port managed switch,
> VLAN-capable, which *does* auto-negotiate.

I've got a Cisco 2900 at home that does the same thing. Oddly, it does
it to my laptop also (Linux with an Intel 10/100 card). Autosense fails,
and if the cable is plugged in at boot-time, I get no connection. I have
to boot the machine, let it come all the way up, then plug in the
ethernet, and I only get 10 half (this is all the laptop).

My SS2 never had a problem. SS20 comes up with no carrier at boot time.
Haven't got to the point where I'd know if I have net yet or not after
boot.

> Cisco Catalyst switches here at work, so
> I really do think that the problems are on
> the Sun side rather than on the switch side.

And I think it's the switch. At least in my case. Perhaps it's something
about the autonegotiation? I'm going to dig around Cisco's docs.

---sambo