[rescue] RE: Hey look, I took out a complete row of floor tiles, opps! (Wh ompf - crap!)

Dan Sikorski rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Jun 21 11:30:59 CDT 2001

> NOTE: I do not think you can have a raised floor using conventional
> hardware that is *free standing* - I think it relies on the walls for
> support/rigidity.
>
> FOr example, if you take a complete run of floor tiles out of a raised
> floor, the whole floor can come crashing down.
>
> Not good.
>
> Rasied floor is frail, if not installed/maintained/used properly.
>
> Just a note, you may have already thought about that, but you can't
just
> build up a raised floor in a large room...
>
> Ken

This is at least not entirely true; I imagine it may depend on the type
of floor. The computer room where I used to work, the raised floor did
not cover the whole room.  It fit into a corner and certainly had no
problems with just a board on the side that was not large enough or
supported well enough to be more than for appearance/air containment
reasons.  This floor held up a LOT of equipment as well, 3 large
mainframe printers, 4 filled 6' racks, and large desks full of
computers, as well as the air conditioner.

	-Dan Sikorski