[rescue] 670MP windfall in the surplus diving frenzy today.....

BSD Bob the old greybeard BSD freak rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Jun 21 10:00:49 CDT 2001

> > There's nothing big or heavy about a Sun '70 chassis.  Good grief.
>
> Context, Dave. If you're at a swapmeet, like the original poster claimed
> to be, and you're going to be taking it home, as I also assume the
> original poster was, then "big" is:

Since I'm the surplus diving pit joe that hauled it home.....

> a) anything you can't get into your car yourself, or

Well, I managed two 6 foot DEC racks one time, and an AS400 rack
another, and a couple 900 lb Korean War era Navy Radio Transmitting
Sets (AN/SRT-14), and....

My van gets to earn its wheaties, the old fashioned way, and I have
a penchant for biggie iron (computer/radio stuff)....(:+}}...

But, I tend to the orphan stuff that the PeeCee folks seem to avoid.
It's cheaper to play with, more fun, and usually runs a good UNIX.

> b) anything your spouse would laugh at if you brought in the door.

Luckily, I have a most gracious spouse (35 years worth) that full well
knows I may drag home a VAX 9000, someday.....(:+}}...  Then I will need
a diesel 20kw generator to drive it, too....

> The difference between that kind of "big", which is really quite small,
> and the "big" that you describe, is a matter of perspective.

Perspective is a big part of it.

> It doesn't matter.

To me, it has some klunkersmanship, if it is the ``right'' iron...(:+}}...

And, its all in fun, for me.  I don't have to make a living at it.

Bob