[rescue] 670MP windfall in the surplus diving frenzy today.....

BSD Bob the old greybeard BSD freak rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Jun 21 09:47:16 CDT 2001

> > Well, they weigh a ton and cost roughly $10/mo to power. They also throw
> > off a lot of heat and noise. If those aren't problems for you, enjoy!

Biggie power is not something I worry about, yet.  I rarely leave the
home farm on, except for the time I am actually doing something on them.
The longest runs are occasional overnight compiles.  That does not eat
up too much Reddy Kilowattie, even on a big machine.

>   I become more and more amused at statements like this as time goes on.

Mee too.  It mostly depends upon what you use them for and how long.

>   Hasn't anyone here ever seen a BIG computer, one whose processor
> measures in the dozens of 6' racks and has a building built around it?
> There's nothing big or heavy about a Sun '70 chassis.  Good grief.

Well, I do have to admit it took two of us to load the thing into the
van, and I liketagot a hernia downloading it out of the van on to the
concrete storage shed floor.  But, it is tiny compared to the hulks
of the DEC 7000 and its storageworks racks that I hopefully will
someday restore, unless I run across a VAX instead.....(:+}}....

Sadly, it looks like someone must have partially stripped the 670MP.
The power switch is gone, some internal stuff is gone, but, I do have
the processor/cpu board, one cdrom (old full-height black Sun thing),
and one HD (have not pulled it yet to see what it is.  That is enough
to cobble something together.

I do think I will end up putting the thing into a 3 slot chassis as
a small deskside since the rest of the hulk 12 slot was just moving
air.  Thanks for that tip.

I will keep an eye out for an sm41 cpu thingy, though.

Thanks

Bob