[rescue] FDDI vs switched 100BaseTX, vs SPARC LX

Brian Hechinger rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Jun 21 00:18:28 CDT 2001

On Wed, Jun 20, 2001 at 10:36:08PM -0400, Loomis, Rip wrote:
> This is actually two separate questions.  First
> the ObSun:
> Any magical incantation that I can use to get the
> le0 interface on my LX at home (running Solaris 7)
> to work correctly when connecting to a 100BaseTX
> switch (which wants to negotiate 100Mbps full
> duplex?)  Cabling all works, and box gets
> connectivity if I plug it into 10Mbps hub and then
> run a crossover from that to the switch, but
> that's a waste of a hub as all my other boxes
> at home now have 100BaseTX interfaces--I'd at least
> like to get a 10Mbps half-duplex switched
> connection going, and right now I'm afraid I
> have to log into the switch and force that
> port down to 10Mbps mode.  Comments?

dave gave us a wonderful speak on FDDI (i'm one of those FDDI fans for all
the same reasons he is, that's why i run FDDI) but he never answered you
question.

can you get your switch to do 10/half?  if not the hub solution is your only
bet.  although if the hub works i don't see why the LX doesn't.

LANCE ethernet (like in your LX) is 10/half only.

HTH,

-brian