[rescue] 670MP windfall in the surplus diving frenzy today.....

Dave McGuire rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Jun 20 21:49:01 CDT 2001

On June 20, Dan Debertin wrote:
> Sure I have; I'm just not interested in telling fish stories. We've all
> seen biiig computers. Biiiiig deal.

  Relax, Dan.  It wasn't a personal attack.  Sheesh.  Tranquilizers,
anyone?

  Since the current computer industry is rapidly becoming incapable of
supplying the processing power that users (and I'm not really talking
about home users here) are demanding for newer applications, BIIIIIG
computers are going to become a way of life ("again", in some cases)
for many/most of us here.  Take a look at Sun's machines for an
example of that trend.  An E450 is a pretty heavy box.

  Just trying to give folks something to think about.

> > There's nothing big or heavy about a Sun '70 chassis.  Good grief.
>
> Context, Dave. If you're at a swapmeet, like the original poster claimed
> to be, and you're going to be taking it home, as I also assume the
> original poster was, then "big" is:
>
> a) anything you can't get into your car yourself, or

  Surely I'm not the only one here to leave a hamfest, go to the
nearest truck rental outfit, and return with a big truck with a
liftgate? ;)

> b) anything your spouse would laugh at if you brought in the door.

  Time for a new (read: reasonable enough to take the zebra WITH his
stripes) spouse. ;)

> The difference between that kind of "big", which is really quite small,
> and the "big" that you describe, is a matter of perspective.
>
> It doesn't matter.

  Peace, man..

    -Dave McGuire