[rescue] FDDI vs switched 100BaseTX, vs SPARC LX

Loomis, Rip rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Jun 20 21:36:08 CDT 2001

This is actually two separate questions.  First
the ObSun:
Any magical incantation that I can use to get the
le0 interface on my LX at home (running Solaris 7)
to work correctly when connecting to a 100BaseTX
switch (which wants to negotiate 100Mbps full
duplex?)  Cabling all works, and box gets
connectivity if I plug it into 10Mbps hub and then
run a crossover from that to the switch, but
that's a waste of a hub as all my other boxes
at home now have 100BaseTX interfaces--I'd at least
like to get a 10Mbps half-duplex switched
connection going, and right now I'm afraid I
have to log into the switch and force that
port down to 10Mbps mode.  Comments?

Secondly, back when I wanted to play with FDDI
I didn't have either the cash or the time...I
still don't, but I'm curious.  Given that I've
already got a fully-switched 100BaseTX backbone
at home, is FDDI really worth playing with, perhaps
for the LX and other older boxen that might come
live in my basement?  Anyone have a favorite
methodology/program to benchmark my existing
setup to see if I can really get 200Mbps sustained
throughput?

(If it wasn't obvious, the latter was prompted
by Dave and others who always seem to favor
FDDI, and my curiousity finally getting piqued
enough...)

  --Rip