[rescue] Vax BSD SMP

Dave McGuire rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Jun 20 19:25:09 CDT 2001

On June 20, Joshua D. Boyd wrote:
> About NetBSD supporting  VAX SMP, but not Sparc SMP.  I believe that Vax
> SMP support was ripped from one of the old BSD distributions, something
> like BSD 4.2.

  Uhhhh...we should ask Ragge about that.  I don't recall any BSD
distribution doing SMP on VAXen.  Especially the mostly
-processor-independent SMP of NetBSD in particular.

> Looking over some history stuff, I see that Dec was still selling Vaxen as
> last as Sept 2k.  Cool.

  Yup.  And the world is full of morons who, when they hear the word
"VAX", they think some huge, old, slow, obsolete thing that's only
capable of running VMS.  That is SUCH a huge pet peeve of mine.  It's
right on up there with the "company XYZ was bought, therefore they
no longer exist" way of thinking.

  If the first way of thinking were reasonable, everything called a
"car" would be a rickety old Model A Ford complete with wooden-spoke
wheels.  If the second made any sense, there'd be no new Alpha or Cray
machines, and the United States Presidency would have vanished into
thin air.

  (please note that I'm not accusing you, Joshua, of either one...just
felt like ranting a little bit)

              -Dave McGuire