[rescue] 670MP windfall in the surplus diving frenzy today.....

Greg A. Woods rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Jun 20 17:47:54 CDT 2001

[ On Wednesday, June 20, 2001 at 16:26:08 (-0500), Dan Debertin wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [rescue] 670MP windfall in the surplus diving frenzy today.....
>
> But I still wonder about how complete the NetBSD VME support is. Can any
> of you comment?

Hmm... yes, NetBSD does support VME on Sun4m.

Any device for which there's a machine-independent VME driver for should work.

Specifically noted on the web page are:

     * SCSI interfaces

          * 5 MB/s NCR 5380 SCSI controller, VME card (Interrupt driven and
            polled DMA) (si)

     * VME disk interfaces
          * Xylogics 7053 VME/SMD disk controller (xd)
          * Xylogics 450/451 VME disk controller (xy)

            Note: VME/IPI disks are not supported

> For example, would NetBSD support memory on the VME bus? I have two
> expansion boards; I'd like to know that it can address that memory as well
> as the sticks on the mainboard.

Does Sun memory for the 670MP actually use the VME bus?  It sure doens't
on a sun-3.

> What about SBus expansion boards?

I doubt it, though the 'xbox' is supported.

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098      VE3TCP      <gwoods at acm.org>     <woods at robohack.ca>
Planix, Inc. <woods at planix.com>;   Secrets of the Weird <woods at weird.com>