[rescue] 670MP windfall in the surplus diving frenzy today.....

rescue at sunhelp.org rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Jun 20 17:09:32 CDT 2001

   For VME-chassis Suns, the memory isn't actually on the VME bus per se,
it's on a private bus on the P2 connectors. That doesn't necessarily
mean that support of additional memory is completely transparent -- for
the types that have ECC memory, for example, each memory board has to
be initialized. I know that on the Sun-3 line, all memory expansion
boards are supported by NetBSD, but I can't find anything that says one
way or another for SPARCs. I sure hope NetBSD or OpenBSD supports them,
otherwise my plans are hurting.

   Speaking of multiprocessor machines, does anybody know whether any of
the BSDs or Linux support multiprocessor 486es? I have an old dual-486/33
Compaq that I'd like to get going. They've got a HAL for NT4, but something
Unixy would be more useful to me.

   Also speaking of multiprocessor machines, I once heard that Sequent made
a multiprocessor 286. Has anybody else ever heard of this beast?

   --James B.