[rescue] RE: Small schools...

Joshua D. Boyd rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Jun 19 15:03:41 CDT 2001

First, I cross posted to geeks.  Please make followups only to geeks now
before people start getting upset and saying things that shouldn't be said
on rescue.

Personally, I voted for the guy, and so far don't regret it.  Why should
what he does start WW3?  I don't see us going out and attacking anyone
real soon.  And so far I don't how what he has done, or plans to do, gives
anyone much more reason to attack us (than they do that is).  And I don't
see us moving back in environmental policies (although, perhaps that would
be good in a few areas). We just refused to sign the Kyoto agreement.
Every country that has signed it has yet to ratify it, and I haven't
heard any reports that any of the signies are near ratifying it (but then,
I don't hear the local news in those countries).

Specifically, I think that the federal government should do as little as
possible.  Specifically, I think the federal governments job is to deal
with outside nations, and to smooth interstate relations.  Obviously, our
law makers and supreme court stopped agreeing with me long before I was
born, but some people make the federal government bigger faster than
others do, and I think that Bush will fuel less federal growth than Gore
would have.

States can do a lot more if they want, and I don't care what states other
than PA do (for the most part).  I care a lot about what my state does,
but it is also easier for me to get the ear of the people I elected to run
my state.  OK, so I can't really go talk to the Governer, but I can (and
have) talked to my representative and senator.

I think that local governments should have the most leeway of all.

So, to sumerize, I think that the farther someone is from me, the less
power they should be given over me.  Bush doesn't know me, so how do I
know he will represent me?  If I cared to talk to them (I live in a sorta
suburban, sorta rural area.  As a result, mostly the local government
only affects schools and zoning.  I don't live in the jurisdiction of the
nearest city, and what their government does affects me more than what
mine does), local polititians could know me, and I could influence
them.

Flame away (after removing rescue from the to: line) people.

--
Joshua Boyd