[rescue] "New" SPARCserver 20

Dan Debertin rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Jun 19 10:02:17 CDT 2001

On Tue, 19 Jun 2001, Joshua D. Boyd wrote:

> > > See, around here people don't want to put up with the incompatibilities of
> > > Netscape and Pine.
> >
> > s/incompatibilities/lack\ of\ pointless\ features/
>
> No.  Netscape has lots of pointless features.  It is just that Netscape's
> pointless features are incompatible with IEs pointless features.

I should have lowered the focus of that to just cover pine. Yes; Netscape
is just as bad as IE in terms of bloatedness, although I hear it's a
better browser.

Email is textual data. There's no need for a graphical shell around it.
I can't think of one good thing it adds to the experience.

> > The lack of a really usable, standards-compliant, open source,
> > non-bloated, non-crashy, graphical web browser is a real crime.
>
> There are numerous web browsers that are free (if not libre) that are
> reasonably non bloated, non crashy (meaning more stable that whatever the
> current Mozilla is) and standards compliant.

Those aren't all of my criteria ;). Freedom-as-in-speech is more important
to me than getting nice presents (i.e., beer). The fact that we have to
petition those in control of Opera's source in order to get a NetBSD or
Solaris port annoys me to no end, although it is otherwise a kick-ass
piece of software (as far as I know -- it could be riddled with bugs, and
it could email /etc/shadow somewhere, for all I know. I can't see the
source.)

Dan
--
Dan Debertin