[rescue] WTB: SGI

Björn Ramqvist rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Jun 19 09:19:25 CDT 2001

"Joshua D. Boyd" wrote:

> > I'd recommend the Octane wherever you need the serious I/O these
> > machines perform. It's just... yummy. :-)
> > Seriously, Octanes (lower-end Solid Impact, 175/195MHz R10k) _can_ be
> > found as low as $1600. Only 256MB RAM, but that's definitly doable if
> > you don't do serious math works on it. If you don't mind any
> > texturememory, SI (Solid Impact) will do just great.
>
> Which brings us back to the fact that Amy just says "graphic stuff"
> doesn't really tell us much about how the machine will be used.
> Specifically, what are the texturing needs?

Kind of lost the topic again...
Back to the fact:
(quoting amy)

"it's for me, actually. i'd like to do some stuff with it (learn things,
perhaps do some graphical work, etc). unfortunately i'm not sure what
would be a good mid-range 'starter' sgi that can hold me for awhile.
would you perhaps have any suggestions?"

I'd start with an O2 with R5000/5200 and enough RAM and perhaps A/V
option. That would hold for a while.
Buying an Octane for a 'starter' SGI would seriously be to overestimate
the needs.
Be sure to get atleast enough horsepower to run IRIX 6.5.x.

Although (*hand-on-my-heart*), once you've got the taste for it, you
want more =)
(going from Indigo2 to Octane rendered the Indigo2 useless in my eyes)