[rescue] WTB: SGI

Björn Ramqvist rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Jun 19 02:31:35 CDT 2001

Dave McGuire wrote:

>   And octanes...Nick is absolutely right, but you have to spend well
> over $2500 to get an Octane with anywhere near the performance of an
> Indigo2 MaxImpact which can be had for $800.
>
>   The only advantage for the octane in that case is expandability to
> multiple CPUs and availability of higher-end CPUs than R10Ks (pretty
> high-end to start with)...

I'd recommend the Octane wherever you need the serious I/O these
machines perform. It's just... yummy. :-)
Seriously, Octanes (lower-end Solid Impact, 175/195MHz R10k) _can_ be
found as low as $1600. Only 256MB RAM, but that's definitly doable if
you don't do serious math works on it. If you don't mind any
texturememory, SI (Solid Impact) will do just great.

The only real downside on those wonderful beasts are the noiselevel. Our
engineers at work are moaning every time I go by and check the machines.
They do tend to make even more noise than the I^2...

/Bjorn