[rescue] WTB: SGI

Brian Harrington rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Jun 18 21:54:52 CDT 2001

On Mon, 18 Jun 2001, Joshua D. Boyd wrote:

> I didn't think they ever made an r4.6k indigo2.  The r4.6k is such a
> crappy chip though.  My opinion is that it should only be taken if the
> machine is free.  But, maybe that's just me.

Actually the R4600 is a neat little chip.  It's kind of like the
MicroSPARC, in that it was designed for the value end of the line, with
solid integer performance and less than spectacular floating point.  The
problem is that people usually bought them in the R4600PC configuration,
with no secondary cache.  That's what really sucks.  An R4600SC/133 can
hold its own with an R4400SC/175 for integer work, and it's much cheaper
and cooler.

All the R4000PC and R4600PC Indys did inspire this fun joke though.

Q: What's an Indy?
A: An Indigo without the go. :-)

                          -- Brian

--