[rescue] RE: WinNT/2K/98/95 "up times"

Michael S. Schiller rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Jun 18 20:35:07 CDT 2001

I don't know about Irix, but Solaris works fine with multiple processors without
having to do ANY manual reconfiguration!

-Mike

"Joshua D. Boyd" wrote:

> My debian 2.0 came with uniprocessor.  I had to recompile the kernel to
> get SMP going.  Most OSs seem to be that way.
>
> Don't solaris and irix people at least have to relink the kernel?
>
> --
> Joshua Boyd
>
> On Tue, 19 Jun 2001, Paul Sladen wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 18 Jun 2001, Ken Hansen wrote:
> >
> > > I have a PPro Linux box (Mandrake 7.0 for 21 days, then about 3 weeks at
> > > RH 7.0 w/errata CD installed), and it is running fine - I am reluctant
> > > to re-install RH to get the second CPU running, but I will this weekend
> > > probably...
> >
> > I know this might be a bit /strange/ to you Solaris and NT guys; but have
> > you considered recompiling the kernel.  My Dual PPro200 (before the VRM
> > blew up) could do it in 6 minutes with `-j3'.
> >
> > I also can't see why Mandrake would want to ship a Uni-processor kernel;
> > perhaps you might like to try a real distribution like Debian www.debian.org.
> >
> > Paul.

*PGP fingerprint= D2 4F A8 B7 13 D5 73 1E  48 99 40 99 F9 BC 74 74 *
*Email: schiller at agrijag.com       \|||/    http://www.agrijag.com *
*Voice: 423-625-6349               (o o)    FAX: 423-623-9054      *