[rescue] RE: WinNT/2K/98/95 "up times"

Brian Hechinger rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Jun 18 19:57:56 CDT 2001

On Tue, Jun 19, 2001 at 01:51:42AM +0100, Paul Sladen wrote:

> I know this might be a bit /strange/ to you Solaris and NT guys; but have

well, more to the NT guys, back in the old BSD days we rebuilt kernels as well.

> you considered recompiling the kernel.  My Dual PPro200 (before the VRM
> blew up) could do it in 6 minutes with `-j3'.

we had a Dual PPro200 setup a couple years ago that could tear through an
entire 'make world' in FreeBSD in under 20 minutes.  it has more to do with
the way you layout the disks than it does the CPU power.

> I also can't see why Mandrake would want to ship a Uni-processor kernel;
> perhaps you might like to try a real distribution like Debian www.debian.org.

because SMP support on a Uni-processor machine incures overhead that doesn't
need to be there.  i've done (and i've seen other people do and populate web
pages with info from) testing proving that running an SMP kernel on a non SMP
box is a huge waste of clock cycles.

although the copy of redhat we had at half.com came with both an SP and MP
kernel (that didn't stop me from rolling my own though)

cheers,

-brian