[rescue] SGI IRIS Indigo keyboard (was: SGI box.. what is it..)

Matthew Haas rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Jun 18 18:46:14 CDT 2001

On Mon, 18 Jun 2001, [iso-8859-1] Bj=F6rn Ramqvist wrote:

> I *think* it's pure serial, as where PS/2 has different signals. The
> Personal IRIS even had DB9 connectors for keyboard/mouse.

Are the pinouts for this unique PS/2-like serial keyboard available? At
this point I'd love to even consider hacks... Sun keyboards are serial...
would such a hack also allow the mouse to work, or should I just keep
looking for the authentic keyboard?

If anyone has any for sale, I'd be game... I just don't want to sink $70
into the cool granite keyboard from reputable.com yet... considering it
was a free system. (Same goes for IRIX 6.2... that looks to be the
slimmest yet best choice for the Indigo).

Actually, it turned out to be a pretty decent system:

R4000 @ 100MHz/50MHz
80MB RAM
1.2GB IBM SCSI drive
Entry LG1 graphics
No PROM password :)

Has a somewhat flakey install of IRIX 5.3 on it... /usr seems to be
missing or heavily damaged, as it always seems to complain. Still gotta
bypass the root password...

But I must admit the machine isn't quite as cool using JUST serial :) I
was hoping it would be cool like a sun machine and let me input via serial
and output via real display.. (or can I... let me check those PROM
environment variables again)...

But none of this would be possible if it weren't for my trusty ol'
SPARCstation LX and minicom :) what a great machine :)