[rescue] big cheap multiprocessor stuff

Robert Novak rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Jun 15 15:16:16 CDT 2001

(note the subject change, and no, I don't want the ice cream on the side ;)

On Fri, 15 Jun 2001, Devin L. Ganger wrote:

> just as comparing Linux on a 32-processor SMP server monster to
> W2K Datacenter is an unfair comparison.

I've probably asked this before... anybody seen 32-processor Intel boxes
out there lately, in the affordable-by-an-individual range? Or even
anything >4cpu? Are there affordable MP Alphas around either?

I was pretty happy to end up with a quad-respectable-cpu Sun (4xSM81) for
quite a ways under $1k, but I'm not seeing a lot in my limited wanderings
as far as affordable 4+ cpu boxes for other platforms (and I was darned
lucky to find the 1000E that cheaply, and get lunch out of it too).

--Rob
        "And it's been a long December and there's reason to believe
           Maybe this year will be better than the last...." -- counting crows