[rescue] Re: [geeks] THIS. MAKES. ME. SICK.

Gil Young rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Jun 15 15:01:42 CDT 2001

But what about when you have the choice of three systems/os/software to do
the job?  Usually it gets referred to the 8th and 9th protocol layers of
the OSI model, budget and politics.  I can wipe the floor budget wise with
UNIX over Windows, but politics, well, there this big marketing arm called
M$, they do a great job selling to non-technical people. I usually refer to
the core design of the system as well, it plays a key role in where the
company is at and where it is going with the product, which in turn will be
where we are led for the duration and sunset of the project with this
hardware/software/OS in its usability and maintainability, flexibility,
support, etc..  One product that burns in my mind was CC-Mail, it solved
the problem tremendously at my previous place of employ, so we went
enterprise on the thing, learned all of it's ineherent design flaws the
hard way, and dumped it in the best way we could at a later time, replacing
it with Exchange.  The point is that if someone were to have done a design
analysis of the CC-Mail system, it would have -never- been purchased, it
was utterly horrible.

Gil