[rescue] Re: [geeks] THIS. MAKES. ME. SICK.

Devin L. Ganger rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Jun 15 13:07:30 CDT 2001

On Fri, Jun 15, 2001 at 09:16:47AM -0400, James Fogg wrote:

<me>

> > There's nothing that will destroy your faith in humanity more quickly
> > than reading the access logs of the news server.

> I would find this facinating. Would you break any laws or rules by sharing a
> log?

a) Yes, I would break several laws *and* violate confidentiality
agreements by doing so.

b) I don't have said logs; I haven't worked for an ISP in over a year.

Your typical news server will log NNTP requests to fetch articles for
given newsgroups, by IP address of the request.  When you hand out
static IP addresses...let's just say that it's possible to, with a
simple grep, build a distressingly accurate picture of folks' reading
habits.

--
Devin L. Ganger <devin at thecabal.org>
find / -name *base* -exec chown us:us {} \;