[rescue] howto make multiple main boards work on a Sun Sparc 670/MP

James Sharp rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Jun 15 12:54:22 CDT 2001

>   That would explain the performance issues I complained about.  An
> unaligned access on an Alpha is a VERY expensive thing...I haven't
> looked at it myself but I've heard other say that it sometimes costs
> DOZENS of cycles of overheard.  It sounds like, if someone took a few
> weeks and just went through everything for 64-bit cleanliness and
> alignment, that performance problem might just go away.  That would
> rock!

You'd be surprised (or not, depending) on how many of the developers I've
seen don't have a clue on how to write 64-bit clean code.  I requested a
64-bit clean Linux/Alpha driver for a Digital Video Broadcast card I was
testing for Cidera and it took the company 9 weeks to finally tell me,
"Uh...we don't know how to write drivers for Alpha machines.  Can't you
run this on an i386 box?".

*THWACK*