[rescue] howto make multiple main boards work on a Sun Sparc 670/MP

linc rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Jun 15 12:45:41 CDT 2001

On Fri, 15 Jun 2001, Dave McGuire wrote:

>   I think what James was referring to is the Linux world's penchant for
> doing half of a port to a new architecture and then announcing it as
> "ported to a new architecture".  They started screaming "we run on
> DECstations! we run on VAX! penguin penguin penguin! blaaaahhh!!"
> as soon as they had basic CPU support and bootstrap code written.  The
> machine would come up, identify the CPU, probe memory, and promptly
> crash.
>
>   This was their idea of "supported".
>
>      -Dave McGuire

If you look at any of the websites for DecLinux or Linux-Vax, the first
thing they say is that if you want a good working OS for your machine to
follow the link to NetBSD.  Pretty honest, and checking the net as I type
I can't find any reference to any Linux claim to have VAX or DS ported
with the one exception of www.kernal.org, and I had to search for that.
No disrespect to you Dave, but I am getting slightly irritated in the
blanket linux bashing from people whom evidently have never tried it or
haven't tried anything recent for a very long time.  Most of us have the
balls to say " Solaris sucks but then again I haven't tried 8 yet, only
7" but this is not so with Linux..  They just spew misinformation and then
giggle their ignorant asses off.
Why am I so bothered about this?  I use Linux, I admin Linux
professionally, and I also run a sizeable LUG.  I also happen to run quite
current versions of most other Unix and Unix-like operating systems
(especially the free ones) so I am qualified to have an informed opinion
on the subject.

My $0.02

-Linc.