[rescue] howto make multiple main boards work on a Sun Sparc 670/MP

Mike Nicewonger rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Jun 15 12:19:33 CDT 2001

> Try RH6.2 on an Ultra 1/200E/Creator3D.
>
> Are you using it as a graphical desktop, or as a headless server?
>
> Bill

I have used SuSE 7.0 on my AXi (Ultra Sparc IIi 333MHz) box and was very
pleased with the performance and stability. The big problems I ran into with
it were pretty much the core complaint I have with Linux. There are a lot of
code hackers out there writing apps for Linux. They proudly proclaim "It
runs on Linux!!" so my reply is "cool! I'll download and try!" when I do
this I find to my horror, yes it runs on Linux, if you have x86 hardware. I
have been forced to abandon Linux on my Sparc hardware since I cannot get
the software I want in either RPM or source that will build/work on the
Sparc.

Understand I am not bashing the Penguin. However until more work goes to
make the software more portable I will be forced to run the Penguin on x86
stuff only.

Mike N