[rescue] howto make multiple main boards work on a Sun Sparc 670/MP

linc rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Jun 15 12:10:43 CDT 2001

On Fri, 15 Jun 2001, James Sharp wrote:

> > You heard wrong.  Linux may not be _supported_, that does not mean it doesn't
> > run.  I had it running on a 600 board with dual SM-100s (quad 40Mhz) for a
> > while.  Support for the VME bus was supposedly, but in the configuration we're
> > discussing, who cares?
>
> Don't forget, Linux's idea of a "supported machine" is one that gets
> almost to multiuser about 50% of the time.

What a crock.  I have Linux boxen that are more stable than any other OS
with the exception of NetBSD.  The biggest problem with Linux is that
*most* people run it on an intel platform which sucks to begin with.  You
put it on something stable liek a Sparc, and it's great.
Now in the past Linux had some problems, but for sure it has come a LONG
way and it's growing faster than *any* other unix like os anywhere.  All
this ranting about Linux being bad is like complaining about tires when
the last one you used was in the stone age and carved out of a rock.  Grab
a recent version/distro and try it - you might be pleasently
suprised.

--
  1:03pm  up 58 days,  1:01,  4 users,  load average: 2.23, 1.87, 1.47