[rescue] Re: [geeks] THIS. MAKES. ME. SICK.

mike dombrowski rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Jun 14 22:38:18 CDT 2001

Time for me to jump in and help out Devin. Just FYI, when I say NT I
mean 4 & 2k.

>As someone who has used and (somewhat adminned) NT 3.1, 3.51, 4, and
W2K, as
>well as Irix (5.3), Sol7(no expert tho), Linux from 0.99pl14 on up,
OpenBSD
>2.7+, SCO BrokenServer, SunOS 4.1.3:

How much time have you spent with various Unixes vs. NT? Most people I
know who come from a unix background and say NT sucks don't spend
nearly as much time with it. People with 10yrs Unix experience use NT
for 2months then say it can't do shit. This may not be the case with
you but I'd say most Unix people are like this.

>I will bet you $250 USD that an out of the box, generic install of
>Open/Net/FreeBSD will whup whatever W2K solution you implement in
terms of
>uptime, security and reliability (defined as the service being
available for

What does this prove? No sane admin runs an out of box install. Even
OpenBSD needs tweaking to get it going

>xx.xx% of the time).  Figure a AMD K6-2 450, 128MB RAM, IDE hard drive
for
>each of us.

You can't do this either. Quadruple the ram and go with a Duron and it
starts getting fair. Compare OpenBSD and Solaris 8 on an LX with
minimum amount of ram for Solaris. OpenBSD will beat Solaris handily in
terms of response time, speed, etc. Does this make Solaris bad? No, it
just means you're incorrectly pairing the OS and hardware. Try this
comparison; Quad Xeon, 2gb ram, scsi OS disks and fibre channel data
disks for massive SQL serving, 2k vs. OpenBSD. Watch 2k beat down
OpenBSD, does this prove anything either?

>I'm not trying to flame you, but if you want to come on the list and
make
>such (IMHO) ridiculous claims you should be challenged.  I know $250
isn't
>real money but it's what I have as "mad money" :-) .

Saying that properly admined NT can work is not a "ridiculous claim."
Hell, I can fux0r a Solaris box up enough that it won't be able to do
shit then come crying about Solaris being a piece of shit. For many
places/people NT is the best solution, period.