[rescue] Re: [geeks] THIS. MAKES. ME. SICK.

Devin L. Ganger rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Jun 14 20:06:20 CDT 2001

On Thu, Jun 14, 2001 at 07:30:19PM -0500, Patrick Giagnocavo wrote:

> "Proper hardware" means - ability to remotely reboot system; purchase
> or use of third party products such as VNC, SSH, PCAnywhere to allow
> remote administration of machine.

Terminal Services, at least on W2K, works quite well for remote admin.
I have a headless W2K server at home that I use Terminal Services on
extensively.

Failing that, I can telnet in to it and do all sorts of regular and
extraordinary administrative tasks via a command line (including
remotely reboot it).

> Run and maintain = "you need some money in the budget to buy additional
> utilities, such as disk defrag tools, other sw to correct deficiencies of
> design or deficiencies of MSFT tools."

Yes, depending on your application.

Same as UNIX.  For example, Veritas File System.  You need to regularly
run maint utilities on that...

> You are right, but I can't really see this as anything other than a red
> herring.
>
> Obviously someone who can't keep NT/W2K running 24/7, regardless of what
> crap the mgmt wants to run on the server, isn't by definition worth $150K,
> are they?  But this statement means nothing in terms of the OS' underlying
> stability or design...

Sure, it does, when people keep stating that NT/W2K is inherently more
unstable than Unix.  That's just bull.  FUD.  NT, when properly adminned
with an understanding of *its* design (not Unix's, or some theoretical
OS that eerily resembles the first multiuser OS the speaker was exposed
to), will perform quite stably and reliably.

--
Devin L. Ganger <devin at thecabal.org>
find / -name *base* -exec chown us:us {} \;