[rescue] Re: [geeks] THIS. MAKES. ME. SICK (NT's do)

Bill Bradford rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Jun 14 09:46:34 CDT 2001

On Thu, Jun 14, 2001 at 10:27:56AM -0400, BSD Bob the old greybeard BSD freak wrote:
> Sadly, my Gateway E4200 NT crate, e.g., the one I was going to load up
> with FreeBSD or Sol8 but which was mandated by the upper powers that be
> to be a ``thou willst run NT on it to be compatible'' kind of thing....
> weeeeellllll, it crashed again, this morning.  Just luv that bluescreen
> de mort....  The hardware is pretty plain jane.  I sense it is the
> software that is the problem.  I don't run the box very hard, except to
> browse a bit and collect departmental mail to me.  It is turned off each
> night and fired up again each morning, almost every day.

Amazingly, this Compaq Deskpro <something> PIII-600 box here on my desk
at work has *NEVER* crashed.  Was unstable as all hell when I got it
(old NT4 install) but once I installed win2k after wiping the drives,
its been *great*.  Of course, I only run SSH/IE/eXceed on it (as my
main machine here at the office), and occasional Word / Excel.  9G HD,
128meg RAM.  Shitty onboard video.

The only downtime its had was due to power outages or reboots for
patches/updates.  I come in in the morning, use it all day, lock the
console when I go home.  I also use it via VNC through the VPN from home.

(this is the machine with the Sun monitor, SGI PS2 keyboard, and
Microsoft mouse....)

Bill

--
Bill Bradford