[rescue] Re: [geeks] THIS. MAKES. ME. SICK.

rescue at sunhelp.org rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Jun 13 17:25:10 CDT 2001

jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu writes:

>So, anyway.  Why hasn't anyone ever made a low cost vector machine.  Say
>one that could be sold for under $5k?

>We just need a few people with some money to design a chip that works
>decently with only a 33mhz frontside bus, yet manages to perform at least
>as fast a P2, and would be safe to put in SMP.  I wonder how hard it is to
>design CPUs...

That wouldn't gain you anything. The performance difference between
a workstation and a super these days is almost entirely due to the
memory bandwidth & IO.

What surprises me is that we haven't seen a standard RISC chip thrown
in a box with a Cray-class memory system. (Well, I suppose that's what
the J90 is, actually...)

-- david fischer -- dave at cca.org -- www.cca.org -- Cthulhu told me to. --