[rescue] Re: [geeks] THIS. MAKES. ME. SICK.

Brian Dunbar rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Jun 13 16:08:03 CDT 2001

>Initial costs to get into production compared to Novell
and/or Banyan had a fair amount to do with it also.
You could be operational with a 10 user (officially)  license AND
use the server occasionally as a workstation for less
than a grand. If you had 15 users it didn't stop you like
Novell did.
<snip><

You're right about  that - but until last fall all of my experience was with
*huge* corporate networks.  At two separate outfits, a discussion was made
to scrap existing novell/banyan networks in favor of NT4.  AFAIK (and I was
rather low on the org chart) both discussions were made by the respective
CEOs/CIO after due attention from Microsoft.

I'll give Microsoft their due - no one markets their product as effectively
as they do.  They direct their effort where it counts, not toward you and I,
but at the design makers.

brian, wondering if he should get back to work on his MCSE . . .