[rescue] Re: [geeks] THIS. MAKES. ME. SICK.

Dave McGuire rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Jun 13 16:03:03 CDT 2001

On June 13, Paul Sladen wrote:
> Oh gawd... that must mean you work for Skycache/Cidera then.  Wooh!  Nice to
> meet you!

  Formerly.  I was on the founding team, wrote all of the code that
actually works.  ~100K lines of the fanciest C code I've ever written.
Pardon the ego trip, but I'm very proud of it.

> The Sparc5 that was supplied a couple of years ago arrived dead, and was
> eventually replaced with a seriously over-specced U2 backplane PIII machine
> running FreeBSD.

  Yup.  I fought that tooth and nail.  That was one of the reasons I got
canned...try to tell a suit "no" when he wants to run everything on a
PeeCee...they'll find a way to can you, founder or not!

> The non-working SS5 eventually disappeared, and after some canabolisation,
> addition of a framebuffer, 200usd's worth of RAM and a new disk turned up as
> my primary Sparcbox at home now.

  Cool! ;)

    -Dave McGuire