[rescue] Re: [geeks] THIS. MAKES. ME. SICK.

Dave McGuire rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Jun 13 15:47:58 CDT 2001

On June 13, Joshua D. Boyd wrote:
> Now, if Sun wanted to be really cool, the would make the next generation
> of Cobalt machines be super small Sparcs.

  ...problem is, they've already addressed that market with the Netra
machines.  Look at the Netra-X1, for example.  It's $1000.  The
MIPS-based Cobalt Raq was a LOT more expensive than that, and about
one third the performance.

  I have no idea what Sun is going to do with Cobalt.  If they keep it
the way it is, selling PeeCees, it will die like all the rest who've
tried.  If they make it doe something smart with a real processor, it
will compete directly with Sun's [very nice] low-end server line.

          -Dave McGuire