[rescue] Re: [geeks] THIS. MAKES. ME. SICK.

Joshua D. Boyd rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Jun 13 14:15:24 CDT 2001

To be fair, there are numerous people who have had NT machines with that
sort of uptime.  It also is a miracle that those people weren't cracked,
what with running such an outdated OS and all.

I'm just saying that anyone who is familiar with Windows can set up an NT
workgroup server.  Before NT, you had to get a real admin in to set up the
new beast.  And workgroup servers don't really NEED 2 year uptimes, even
if it is something nice to brag about.

Thus, it wasn't any surprise that NT sold so well for file server use.
Plus the pricing was pretty friendly.  You can set up NT workstation as
a workgroup just fine.  With NT4, you are limited to 10 users, but under
NT 3.51 wrkstation, the user count was unlimited.  That meant, find the
old 486 laying around.  Add a new harddrive, stuff in more ram, and
install NT 3.51, and away you go, a new workgroup server for under $500.
Try doing that with Novel.

Obviously, almost any unixish operating system is better and cheaper, but,
that is only a more recent option.  Back when NT 3.51 was kicking Novels
but, most people hadn't heard of linux or netbsd.

--
Joshua Boyd