[rescue] Cray J90s

David Michaud rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Jun 13 11:46:58 CDT 2001

Bill Bradford wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 13, 2001 at 02:04:43AM -0400, Dave McGuire wrote:
> >   Let's put it this way.  The J90 is now out of production, and it was
> > the most plentifully produced Cray system.  There were about four
> > hundred of them built.
>
> What was typical end-user price of a J90 w/support contract?  I
> read the original Cray-1 was 8.8M...
>
> Bill
>
> --
> Bill Bradford
> mrbill at mrbill.net
> Austin, TX

What I would like to know is the number of Cray-2's still intact, and...
probability of availability (ie, acquisition). The last I had heard, the
last operational Cray-2 was decommissioned, yet left intact, by
NetworkCS sometime in 1999. Trouble is, all that which was mentioned
previously in this thread regarding acquisition of Cray supers, plus the
fact that it was liquid cooled, and Fluorinert (sp?) which needs
replenishing would cost oodles of money.

-Dave (who has 32"x40" Cray-2 poster on his wall...)