[rescue] Radio DF equipment (was Ham radio license question)

rescue at sunhelp.org rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Jun 13 10:19:10 CDT 2001

  This is what I meant.  It DOES use the phase of the
signal but the name implies that the Doppler shift alone
is how direction is determined.  The Doppler shift is
used to obtain this as opposed to a system with fixed
antennas which have to be manually rotated.  In essence,
there really is not much of a difference between the two
systems.  I can imagine that someone could have four
fixed antennas and measure the phase difference between
opposite pairs of antennas and calculate direction.  I
know this is splitting hairs but to some people using a
Doppler shift is more "magical" than just comparing
phase.  Next subject is how many angels can dance on a
Weitek chip.