[rescue] Free goodies (northern CA)

James Lockwood rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Jun 13 02:45:55 CDT 2001

On Wed, 13 Jun 2001, Chad Fernandez wrote:

> I had no idea that dogs would hunt small animals like that.  I thought
> only cats did.  I've heard of dogs chasing squirels of course, but not
> actually catching anything.

The Huskies I've known have seemed especially "catlike" in many ways.
Extremely intelligent and they use their front paws extensively to hold
things like cats do.  They're clean, don't smell (much) and don't bark.

On the other hand, every dog I've had of any breed has killed possums.
They seem to be relatively easy targets, even our 10+ year old Golden
Retriever had no problems bringing them down (the Husky gets them all
first these days though).  I think dogs see eliminating stupid pests from
the gene pool as part of their civic duty, something I can identify with
after having done helpdesk time.

-James