[rescue] P2 CPUs?

Joshua D. Boyd rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Jun 12 00:03:30 CDT 2001

On Mon, 11 Jun 2001, Bill Bradford wrote:

> If you dont do a lot of 3D/OpenGL, the G450 is the best bet - best 2D
> image quality on the market, period.  As for OpenGL, they're great for
> engineering/design type stuff, but not as good as the GF2MX for games.

I do a lot of OpenGL (when I say imaging software, one of my central
goals is to make it real time via OpenGL acceleration), however, the
OpenGL that I do that would really push a card is low on polys, but really
high on textures (hence my disappointment at not getting an O2, which is
perfect for low poly counts, but huge textures).

Thus, for what I want to do, not only is lots of ram important, but so is
accuracy.  That is part of why the Gforce3 sounds so good, is because they
went and greatly improved their accuracy, which might not be important for
games, but it is important for doing real work.

BTW, my understanding is that the Matrox rt2k doesn't use OpenGL, but it
does use the G450's 3D hardware directly for rendering alpha and layer
effects.  At least, that is what I've been able to surmise from product
descriptions and reviews.  I don't actually know anyone at Matrox who
could confirm or deny this.

--
Joshua Boyd