[rescue] P2 CPUs?

Joshua D. Boyd rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Jun 11 23:41:15 CDT 2001

On Tue, 12 Jun 2001, Jonathan Katz wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 12, 2001 at 12:27:38AM -0400, Joshua D. Boyd wrote:
> > I have one of those cards.  I love it.  It has such a nice picture.  Only
>
> I swear by the ATI Rage 128 Pros w/ 32M of RAM. Have one in the
> Solaris x86 box driving a 19" at 1280x1024x32bpp and the other
> in the win2k box driving a 17" at 1600x1200x32bpp and it works
> great. Then again, I don't game.

I kinda have my eye on replacing my infernal voodoo card with a Matrox
400 or 450.  It supposedly doesn't have the performance of the Rage 128,
but the fact that it is used as part of the rendering engine for the
Matrox RT2000 package is rather compelling to me.  Of PC software, the
Matrox RT2000 (which is really a hardware/software package) is closest to
where I'm slowly heading.  However, the RT2k is windows only.  Who knows
if it would be anywhere near possible under linux using current drivers.

That said, the Geforces are also getting to be pretty cheap.  I'm not sure
if they are up to the 2D work I have for them, and I'm quite concerned
about how well the high performance binary only drivers will work with my
Wacom.  To use binary only under XFree 3.3.x was just asking for trouble
for wacom users.

--
Joshua Boyd