[rescue] 4/600 memory, This is a TEST

James Lockwood rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Jun 11 19:00:38 CDT 2001

On Mon, 11 Jun 2001, Al Potter wrote:

> So, I got this board over the weekend (Thanks to Mike Nicewonger, always a
> pleasure) and it had 512MB of RAM on it (32x 16MB simms).  I plugged in 4MB
> simms for 128MB and now it hangs on boot at "Initializing Memory".
>
> I prolly forgot to move a jumper, can't find an obvious one on the board, and
> the dratted FEH is at the house.
>
> The test is:  Who can come up with the answer the FASTEST.  (I'm betting on
> James Lockwood).

I'm no SS600 god, but I can try.

There is no SIMM size selector jumper on the SS600 mainboard, it should
autodetect like the sun4c boxes.  Does it hang with a specific pattern on
the LED's?  Have you tried a diag boot?  Are all the SIMMs true parity and
80ns or faster?

Try pulling half the RAM (leave the half closest to the side of the board,
sockets U1401 through U1107) and see what happens.  You may also want to
pull all the ram, blow out the contacts and reinsert.  Sometimes the
tension on those RAM sockets isn't so good after a decade.

-James