[rescue] Free goodies (northern CA)

James Lockwood rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Jun 11 16:51:27 CDT 2001

On Mon, 11 Jun 2001 nick at snowman.net wrote:

> So what all did you manage to stuff into that e450?  The chassis of ebay,
> the main board you aquired, what else?

Chassis from Ebay.  Mainboard was a trade for 3 SM81-2's (this was last
year so it actually cost me a bit).  RAM is stock SS20 fare.  Disks and
brackets were out of a couple Ultra 1's I resold.  CPU modules were from a
U2 I resold bare, and DC/DC converters & powersupplies were picked up from
someone on a newsgroup.  I have a PGX32 and a SS4 audio card in it as well
right now.

The whole thing has taken a year to assemble, but it was cheap.  I think
I'm in for about $1700 total, which is a bargain when I'm selling the
system it is replacing for $1000 (decked-out Ultra AXi).

The only problem it has left is a dead NVRAM chip.  Time to call Mouser.

-James [who else here wishes Sun had included, oh, HANDLES on the 450???]