[rescue] net boot help

Joshua D. Boyd rescue at sunhelp.org
Sat Jun 9 14:43:29 CDT 2001

I found that when looking at howtos on netbooting javastations or other
sparc stations that they seem to assume that you already know how to set
up a linux or other machine as a boot server (which I don't).

With a good bit of searching, I found a howto on setting up a netboot
server for an NCD terminal.  I followed it adopting the directions for my
javastation.

The first thing I did was uncomment out the following two lines in the
inetd.conf file:
tftp    dgram   udp     wait    root    /usr/sbin/tcpd  in.tftpd
/tftpboot/
bootps  dgram   udp     wait    root    /usr/sbin/tcpd  bootpd

I then created a /etc/bootptab file, reconfiguring it to point to the
proll image as referered to by the linux on javastation howto.  That is
all that the NCD tutorial indicated was needed.

However, when I turn on the javastation (or try to net boot the other two
sparcs), I get the following message:
Timeout waiting for ARP/RARP packet

Anyone care to point me to better information on setting up this boot
server?

--
Joshua Boyd