[rescue] SS2 help

Joshua D. Boyd rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Jun 8 19:04:10 CDT 2001

I just rescue a SS2.  It has 40megs of ram, 2 drives, reportedly no OS,
and supposedly a TGX video card (has video card, haven't confirmed that
its a TGX), and two small hard drives (an HP quantum drive, and a Seagate,
not sure what the SCSI IDs are yet.).

Anyway, I'm trying to boot this machine to serial.  I have a null modem
connected between a lintel machine and serial port A on the SS2.

After removing the video card, it boots to the OBP (with video card it
only gets to "Can't open input device."). See after sig for the messages.

Now, as I mentioned above, this machine was sold with no OS, but this
error message sounds more like a bad hard drive or scsi controller than
just no OS.

I love these old unix machines, but I just never seem to be very good at
getting/keeping them working correctly.

--
Joshua Boyd

WARNING: Unable to determine keyboard typescreen
Can't open input device.
SPARCstation 2, No Keyboard
ROM Rev. 2.2, 40 MB memory installed, Serial #4260777.
Ethernet address 8:0:20:e:d6:d5, Host ID: 554103a9.

Testing   1 megs of memory. Still to go    0
Boot device: /sbus/esp at 0,800000/sd at 3,0   File and args:
SCSI device 3,0 is not responding
Can't open boot device

Type b (boot), c (continue), or n (new command mode)
Boot device: /sbus/esp at 0,800000/sd at 3,0   File and args:
SCSI device 3,0 is not responding
Can't open boot deviceP/RAR.

Type b (boot), c (continue), or n (new command mode)