[rescue] RE: [SunRescue] OT: AS/400 stuff

David Cantrell rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Jun 6 05:13:10 CDT 2001

"Joshua D. Boyd" <jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu> wrote:

> I wouldn't be surprised is IBM had a way to get it cheaper for the P390.

IIRC you can get the card with VM for under US$20,000.  At least, I recall
there being something like that mentioned in Linux Journal a year or so
ago when they were going "ooh! shiny!" at the S390 port.

> Anyway, I know that VM isn't very useful by itself.  I suppose that
> someone like oracle could write a version of oracle to run directly on VM,
> but VM is really meant to manage system partitioning and the running of
> other operating systems.  VM is optional, and it is also quite expensive.

> That said, OS/390 is compliant enough to be certified unix.  This was a
> strategic move to help encourage people to port their applications to
> OS/390.

You mean they threw in a bunch of compatibility libraries and utilities
to keep the marketroids quiet.

--
David Cantrell | david at cantrell.org.uk | http://www.cantrell.org.uk/david/

      Good advice is always certain to be ignored,
      but that's no reason not to give it            -- Agatha Christie