[geeks] Re: [rescue] Re: [SunRescue] Catalyst 2100 switch

Dave Reader rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Jun 6 04:17:47 CDT 2001

On Tue, 5 Jun 2001, Dan Debertin wrote:

> On Tue, 5 Jun 2001, Bill Bradford wrote:
>
> > Cisco TAC *KICKS ASS*.  I just called them up, even though I didnt
> > have a support contract.  Talked to someone in Sydney, Australia to
>
> There's nothing quite like the way the .au Cisco folk say "router". My
> best text approximation would be "reawdah". Not to mention "sweetch".

It's amazing just how many different ways it's possible to speak the same
language - of course we have a wide range of variations here in the UK
anyway .. with some particularly strong accents (eg, in the north
east) .. however we're all used to that and tend not to notice (although
there are people I know who I do have real difficulty understanding
sometimes).

If I'm honest I have to admit that I tend to cringe at the US
pronounciation, though. Here in the UK we pronounce it as "roo-ter"
because we pronounce 'route' as 'root'.

You can see how "roo-ter" becames "reawdah" once you get an Australian
accent etc into it :)

To us, the American pronounciation of 'router' (as I've heard spoken,
anyway) is more commonly associated with woodworking.

It was difficult not to laugh (it just happened to be amusing given the
domain in question for non-obvious reasons which I won't go into) at the
Network Solutions guy I had on the phone earlier in the year who insisted
on spelling out "dot O R G" in such a way that he appeared to be saying
"dot orgy" - maybe we could propose a new TLD.. ;)

dave.