[rescue] Re: [SunRescue] OT: AS/400 stuff

Ken Hansen rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Jun 5 21:25:34 CDT 2001

It has it's own beauty - all the numbers are (in hex) F0 = "0",
F1="1"...F9="9" - numeric fields can be packed, but I think I drank away the
brain cells that remembered the exact scheme.

A neat trick used back in the late 70's was to program an EEPROM with all
the 256 addresses representing every possible EBCDIC charater, and storing
in the address the value of the ASCII equivalent - a one-piece ASCII <->
EBCDIC conversion...

Another popular conversion was to turn Selectric typewriters in to
printers...

Ah, the good old days...

Ken