[SunRescue] OT: AS/400 stuff

James Sharp rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Jun 5 14:54:00 CDT 2001

> > An IBM Mainframe is like a Cray supercomputer - you don't tinker around on
> > it, it doesn't have "netscape", and there is no SETI at Home client for it
> > (that I am aware of ;^).
>
> You realize that you are replying to McGuire who does tinker around with
> Crays?  After McGuire gets his hands on an IBM, it might never have
> netscape, but it just might get Mozilla.

Porting stuff to Cray/Unicos is usually a bit problematic.  There's a
whole lot of quirks that you have to work out..for example, everything on
the cray uses a 64-bit data type.  a "short" in C turns out to be the same
size as an "unsigned long long", and that drives some code nuts.

Of course, I got bored one morning and ported Apache to McGuire's J90.

Sigh...the wonders of insomnia.