[SunRescue] OT: AS/400 stuff

Joshua D. Boyd rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Jun 5 13:23:44 CDT 2001

On Tue, 5 Jun 2001, Ken Hansen wrote:

> VMis a real robust OS, that can work wonders without a client OS (VSE, MVS
> or other) - *but* there is very little support for VM in commercial Apps. -
> they tend to run under a client OS.
>
> VM is *so robust* you can run another OS under it, but make no mistake, VM
> is very useful. VM is the most likely way you would work on a low-end
> "freak" machine like the departmental s/390s we are talking about here.
>
> IBM *controls* the market, and has no reason to offer low-cost OSs.

Then why did IBM need to make OS/390 unix compliant?  Sure, they might
control the market, but if they don't attract developers, then customers
won't keep coming either.  Why do you think they have a new program giving
free access to linux partitions on their zSeries machines to developers?

Plus, if IBM has so little reason, then why did they bother sending a
review copy of OS/390 to Moshe Bar (Byte columnist, see
http://www.byte.com/column/BYT20000801S0004)?

--
Joshua Boyd