[SunRescue] OT: AS/400 stuff

Ken Hansen rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Jun 5 12:58:34 CDT 2001

Real OSs for Real Work.

IBM MVS traces it's roots all the way back to 1964 with OS/360.

There is no concept of a "shell" or a "command line" - there is ISPF, which
provides you a way to work with the system interactively, and TSO, which
will allow you to share your system with multiple users on termianl
sessions.

*Everything* is expensive on an IBM Mainframe, but everything on them will
run forever too.

An IBM Mainframe is like a Cray supercomputer - you don't tinker around on
it, it doesn't have "netscape", and there is no SETI at Home client for it
(that I am aware of ;^).

Ken