[SunRescue] OT: AS/400 stuff

Paul Khoury rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Jun 5 11:57:35 CDT 2001

On Tue, 5 Jun 2001 04:14:36 -0400 (EDT), Dave McGuire wrote:

>> Shit, $1000 for the license?  Yikes.
>
>  Umm, no...ONE HUNDRED THOUSAND dollars.

Opps, I forgot 2 zeros.  LOL

>  The P390 (I have this on good authority from a VERY knowledgeable
>friend who has several) runs the exact same OS distribution as a
>"real" S/390.  And keep in mind that the S/390 is a true mainframe...a
>current-technology one at that.  Through and through, no bullshit.
>There ain't no buyin' an OS for fifty bucks for something like that.

Didn't think so.  500 bucks would be nice, but I doubt that also.
So how does OS/390 or VM, or MVS (whichever it is) compare with
UNIX?

>> Well, they say on the auction it's a non-transferrable license, for demo use.
>> Like anyone is stupid enough to listen to that disclaimer anyways...
>
>  I think we all know what that means.  It's the seller covering his/her
>ass, and it's probably defensible in court.

Of course.  I mean, who is stupid enough to wipe it and pay $100,000 to
have a legit license?  Unless you're the NSA or something, but in that
case you'll either have new or better hardware...

PK